[vox-if] [Fwd: Installfest RSVP]

Jonathan Stickel jjstickel at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 20 11:47:41 PST 2005

This one wants linux to boot "fast"

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Installfest RSVP
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 13:00:47 -0800 (PST)
From: apache at livepenguin.com (apache)
To: nbs at sonic.net, if at lugod.org

Installfest RSVP

Name: Mather White

03_CPU: PII-233 MMX

04_Speed: 233

05_RAM: 128

06_HD_Sizes: 3GB

07_Video: NeoMagic NM2200 2MB?

08_Monitor: TFT LCD

09_Laptop-Brand: IBM

10_Laptop-Model: ThinkPad 600 2645-41U

11a_HW-Printer: on

11a_HW-Printer-Desc: HP 4215 USB printer+scanner

11b_HW-Sound: on

11b_HW-Sound-Desc: Cirrus Logic CS 4610/4611

11c_HW-Modem-Desc:

11d_HW-Network: on

11d_HW-Network-Desc: Belkin F5D6020 ver. 2 (Atmel chipset)

11e_HW-Scanner-Desc:

11f_HW-Camera: on

11f_HW-Camera-Desc: FujiFilm FinePix 1300 USB

11g_HW-MP3: on

11g_HW-MP3-Desc: reative MuVo DAP-TD0001 MP3 USB

11h_HW-Game-Ctrl-Desc:

11i_HW-DVD: on

11i_HW-DVD-Desc: external USB

11j_HW-Other:

11j_HW-Other-Desc:

13_Partition: its own dedicated drive

14_Distro: Libranet or Debian

15_Bringing_Own: on

16_Problems: I would like to run the fastest possible Linux distro & GUI
desktop for this machine (although I would sacrifice 10% of performance
for usability and maintainability), and use it for web browsing, VoIP,
and audio/video.  It must fully reboot (from old GUI desktop through
BIOS boot to new GUI desktop) as least as quickly as Windows 98SE (which
takes 110 seconds).  (I would prefer not to login; kiosk mode is fine.)
  I guess that means Vector Linux, Libranet, or (tweaked) Debian, with
IceWM or similar, but I am all ears.

17_Arrive-Time: 10am

18_Learned-How: Linux BALE

Read_Release: yes