[vox-if] [Fwd: Installfest RSVP]

Jonathan Stickel jjstickel at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jul 17 21:57:43 PDT 2004

Mike Simons wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 16, 2004 at 10:17:54AM -0800, Jonathan Stickel wrote:
>
>>Here is another who already has Linux installed and wants configuration
>>help.  This seems to be software specific; others need help setting up
>>hardware.  I'm going to tell him software help is low priority, but to
>>come at 1pm and see if someone is available.  I'll also point him to
>>vox-tech.
>>
>>Has there been a LUGOD IF policy along these lines in the past?  Is this
>>a good idea?  Generally, I don't think installfests should be a place
>>for people to come for software help; IFs are meant to help people
>>install Linux on their specific hardware.
>>
>>Do let me know if I'm way off base here.
>

> On Fri, Jan 16, 2004 at 10:28:03AM -0800, Trevor Lango wrote:
>
>>I know nothing of previous policy, but isn't the general objective
>>simply to help people use linux by eliminating some of the hassle
>>factors? We wouldn't want someone to bail out on open source simply
>>because they personally can't resolve some dependencies, right? Perhaps
>>it is not as high a priority for an IF but it also should be very easy
>>and very quick to fix for anyone with a decent knowledge of linux
>>systems.
>

> Jonathan,
>
> I agree with Trevor here.
>
> While encouraging people to to join vox-tech and ask questions there is
> great (they are likely to learn more if things work out)... some people
> or problems don't work out over email very well.
>
> In general an installfest is to help people get Linux into a state they
> can use it... covers software issues after an install.
>
> At LUGOD the meetings when I describe installfests I always try to
> mention that people with a pre-existing install that are having trouble
> with some program are also welcome to bring their computer and get it
> sorted out (especially non-technical people).
>
> Personally I think people who have tried to install Linux themselves and
> got stuck someplace using it are more likely to benefit from the
> additional help of fixing up some software program, because they've
> shown enough initiative to try it themselves and are willing to hall a
> somewhat working system in to be looked at.  Where as some of the people
> who show up without ever having used linux before end up not really using
> the Linux system that gets installed.

I appreciate your comments, even if they come 6 months later :)
Actually, I've totally changed my mind about this long ago.  What caused
me to express the above view back in January was that I was a little
overwhelmed with my first IF and didn't have a clue what the guy was
asking.  Since then, I decided anyone is welcome to come with any *nix
related problem they want, as long as I can get someone willing to help
them.  For really technical stuff that the usual installers can't
handle, I ask on vox for volunteers.  That worked well for a case a
couple months ago.

Thanks for your help today.  I, too, really wish we could get internet
through a wall-jack.  Maybe Emily can hook us up?  Even if we needed to
change the location, it would be totally worth it.

Jonathan