2002.06.27 Meeting Notes
Bill Kendrick / Melissa Hardenbrook Residence, Davis.
- PO Box
PO Box forwarding confirmation in progress. In the meantime, a piece of
forwarded mail came, so it seems to be working already.
The IRS has been given our new postal address.
- Open Source in Government
Mike Simons will talk to the City of Davis IT department manager
about whether they can help with a proposal to get the City to
consider Open Source software before closed software.
- Library Archive
Mike and Henry have grabbed book details from Library of Congress
(based on ISBN numbers) to populate the LUGOD library's book index.
The "Property of LUGOD" rubber stamp has arrived, and books will be
stamped and downloaded L.o.C. data double-checked.
- Non Profit Status with CA
Henry was waiting for the bank account move to be completed before
applying. (Due Date: June 27th)
- New Bank Account
Pete Salzman and Bill Kendrick (chair and vice-chair at the time)
went to Washington Mutual and closed the bank account (with additional
signature on the letter from Zach Johnson, treasurer at the time).
The remaining account balance ($3.77) to be given to Henry for
deposit into the newly-opened account.
Chairperson, Peter Salzman, wished to have signing powers on the account,
along with Treasurer, Henry House. Pete and Henry must go to the bank
with a copy of this meeting's minutes.
- Mailing List Archives
We would like to try and make them appear like the rest of the website
(with navigation sidebar/etc.).
We also need a way of excluding
mailing list archive messages from the search engine for when users
wish to only search site content, not site content AND list archives.
It was suggested that the archive be set up so that an
"X-No-Archive" header line will keep a message from being archived
on the website. Henry says this should work already, but needs to be
tested. Once confirmed, the mailing list pages on the website will be
updated to include information on how to do this.
- Calif. 4-H
Handout deadline (July 15th) is looming. Speakers (Nicole Carlson,
Henry House and Bill Kendrick) need to meet to decide what to talk
about, exactly, and what needs to be in the handouts.
- New Books
O'Reilly's Managing Projects with Make was donated.
Henry has decided to keep LUGOD's financial information in finance
software, with reports being produced monthly for publication on
We should keep a list of all non-free software which has been installed
on the demo box (e.g. on the demo box's page on the website).
LUGOD will buy a CD case for Mike to keep the proprietary software discs
Henry will look into booking us at the Co-Op for the remainder of the
summer. We won't look into going to the Farmers Markets (at least,
not with a computer) until a cooler season. (We may still go to the
Farmer's Market, but only with informational handouts, which were really
the most 'popular' part of our Whole Earth Festival event.)
Henry will look into booking the conference room at the Co-Op, as well,
for short computer-less lectures about Linux and Open Source which will
take place while the computer demo at the Demo Kitchen occur.
Pete is drafting a letter to Shuttle Computers asking for help
aquiring one of their systems (which are physically very small and light)
to replace are large, aging demo box that VA Linux donated to us long
Peter is going to buy WineX for the demo machine.
Henry will give Mike the hub (donated by Z-World) to keep with the demo
machine (e.g. for Installfests).
- Kiosk Computers
Pete knows someone who could donate older computers (no monitors)
which could be used as kiosk computers (e.g. for info., web browsing,
email, etc.) in the community. Bill will post to Usenet to see if there's
actual interest in any organizations for such things. If so, we will
move forward to gather components and package up the appropriate
software and documentation.
- Members Page
We've decided that September 1st of each year would be a suitable
date for pinging people on our members page to make sure they still wish
to be listed. This will be secretary's job - a bylaw ammendment will be
drafted by Pete.
We've decided to stick with UCD, rather than moving installfests to,
e.g., the Co-Op. We may yet get network access at UCD.
Bill still needs to replace the form-to-email script currently being
used for the Installfest RSVP form with a new PHP-based script.
- Domain Name
LUGOD.org still lists Steve Wormley (at his old Texas address) as the
owner organization and administrative contact. Bill will ask him about
transferring ownership to LUGOD.
SacLUG's and RoseLUG's mailing lists, as well as a number of UC Davis
and Sacramento USENET newsgroups were asked about interest in carpools
to LUGOD meetings. There was no response, so we won't worry about it...
- Sacramento State CS Club
Bill tried to contact the Sac. State CS Club to make sure they knew
about us. No such organization exists!
- Pete Salzman - root (president)
- Mike Simons - sys (vice president)
- Melissa Hardenbrook - typescript (secretary)
- Henry House - sys (treasurer) / librarian
- Bill Kendrick - p.r. officer / webmaster
- Rhonda Bailey