Linux Users' Group of Davis - "LUGOD 2003.04.01 Meeting Notes"
2003.04.01 Meeting Notes
- Google will be visiting SVLUG tomorrow to talk about Linux clustering!
- The CS Club at UC Davis may be able to offer LUGOD meeting space, if we
need to move from the Library
- Picnic Day at UC Davis is Saturday, April 12th. The CS Club at UC Davis
can get us space there!
- The Embedded Systems Conference is taking place in late April.
Some LUGOD members are planning to go on the Thursday (April 24th), since
there's a free trip to the Metreon in San Francisco afterwards!
- Picnix, the Linux anniversary picnic, will be held again this August
in the south bay. Planning is taking place now!
- Demo - In lieu of a LUGOD Linux Demo this month, we'll be
participating in UC Davis' Picnic Day, thanks to help from the CS Club.
(If we cannot, we'll definitely try to have a demo on the same day at one
of our regular locations, like The Co-Op or Borders Books).
- Installfests - The next IF date lands on Easter, so there's no
Installfest scheduled for April. Our next Installfest will be on
Sunday, May 18th.
- LERT - No report.
- Library - No report.
- Sacramento Writers Conference - Bill Kendrick and Mike Simons
of LUGOD, Brian Lavender of Mike Machado of SacLUG, and Paul Miller of
RoseLUG staffed a booth at the 'Writer in the Workplace' conference held
by the Sacramento chapter of the Society for Technical Communication.
The conference was held at American River College in Sacramento, and
attended by about 300 people from around the region.
We handed out copies
of Knoppix (burned by Brian and Mike M.) and GNUWinII (burned by Rick
O'Shaughnessy of LUGOD), and hand-outs describing Linux and Open Source,
listing local and regional LUGs, and event flyers. We showed of OpenOffice,
AbiWord and CrossOver Office (running MS Internet Explorer and MS Word),
and booted a few laptops into Knoppix. Al Canton of SacLUG (from Adams-Blake
Company) donated copies of his book 'The Silver Pen', which we handed out,
The event will take place again next March, but will be of larger scope
and held at UC Davis. We'll most likely attend again!
- California 4-H Leadership Conference - LUGOD is planning to attend
the 4-H conference in August, like we did last year. If you're interested
in helping out, contact Bill Kendrick or post to 'vox-outreach'.
- Whole Earth Festival - WEF takes place again this May.
LUGOD will have a booth there! (It cost $45.00 to register.)
If you'd like to help out, post to 'vox-outreach.'
- Picnic Day - LUGOD will hopefully be attending Picnic Day,
receiving booth space from the CS Club at UC Davis! If you'd like to
help out, post to 'vox-outrech.'
- Financial Report - $31.08
in voluntary dues were collected. $4.00 were donated for CDs given out
at the Writers Conference last Saturday.
- Bill Kendrick
- Mike Simons
- Stephen Helms
- Jeff DeFay
- Jeff Rousch
- Harry Souders
- Ryan Castelluci
- Marc Hasbrouck
- Rick Griest
- Henry House
- Doug Barbieri
- Lee Welters
- Linda Welters
- Daphne Pareas
- Dmitriy Ivanov
- Corey McKenzie
- Ken Herron
- Emily Stumpf
- Guy Sotomayor
- Nick Glassman
- Ned Allison
- (Elizabeth) Paulette Jaeger
- Lou Katz
- Ed Tannenbaum
- Doug Huckaba
- ...and 3 others
LUGOD: PO Box 1336, Davis, CA 95617
2003 Apr 02 00:12