[vox] Desktop Recommendations

bill broadley bill at broadley.org
Mon Feb 21 12:59:02 PST 2022

On 2/21/22 03:24, Jeff Newmiller wrote:
> By "vendor desktop" I was explicitly excluding custom-built desktops.

Sure.  NUCs, System76, and similar systems usually have replaceable and
upgradable storage and ram (the most important 2), but not motherboards or power
supplies.

Dell mid or full size desktops do often annoying have custom motherboards (not
ATX, microATX, or miniATX) and often custom power supplies.  Very annoying, but
I get it, most won't use that functionality and the save some $$$ on production
and integration.  At least you can still replace dimms and storage.

I believe larger systems from System76 use standard
motherboards/dimms/powersupplies, but I'd verify that before you purchase.

>   I don't have experience with the vendors you mention, but the vendors I do have experience with tweak their hardware to cut costs and reduce interoperability.
Indeed, still not as custom as laptops usually are though.
> But these days I run a Chromebook with the Linux LXD and rent cloud computing when I need more horsepower. Different strokes and all.

Nice.  My kid has had a Chromebook I bought for $180 for 5+ years, it's aging
surprisingly well actually.  It did lose a keycap, but still usable.  It's not
been getting much use because her current school gives all students a chromebook
while they are enrolled.