[vox] Desktop Recommendations

bill broadley bill at broadley.org
Sat Feb 19 14:42:59 PST 2022

On 1/26/22 20:59, Jeff Newmiller wrote:
> Feels a bit quaint to think about buying a vendor desktop these days.

Heh, I'm sure laptop makers would like you to think that.  I still recommend
desktops for many use cases because:

1. Desktops are easy to fix, lasting 10+ years of daily use isn't particularly
hard if you are willing to troubleshoot and replace parts.  Often just a
phillips screw driver or two is needed. Laptops often require multiple tools and
significant planning, things like removing a dozen or two screws that look
similar, but are different lengths and have different threads, torx and even
security bits or pentalobe drivers are sometimes needed. For normal folks I
wouldn't particularly consider laptops as user serviceable.  Even dimms and
storage are increasingly soldered to the motherboard on laptops. With a desktop
replacing things like a SSD, GPU, or hard drive is a few screws and some common
sense, even a motherboard isn't particularly hard.  Keyboard and mouse are
trivial, just unplug a usb cable and plugin the new.  On a laptop, even simple
things like a keyboard often involves significant time, planning, more tools,
and playing along with an hour long youtube video.  Even a cookie or spilled
drink is MUCH more likely to kill a laptop than a desktop.

2. Desktops are much more expandable, adding 3.5" disks allows adding a large
amount of storage easily.  I recently added 5x14TB to a desktop case.  Even
2-4TB of storage is a challenge on most laptops, and typically very expensive
for the size.

3. Generally skipping a laptops LCD, integrated keyboard, integrated touchpad,
battery, battery charger, tiny fans, (generally) cheap plastic case, makes
desktops more reliable and cheaper than laptops.  Also desktops use standard
parts, so it's MUCH easier to keep a desktop going, I'd recommend at least a 3
year warranty on a laptop, because even things like keyboards, fans,
motherboards, storage, etc are custom parts or not user replaceable.

4. Desktops parts, even with the same model name (like gtx 3080 or intel i7) are
faster on desktops.  So even a lower end desktop (with an i5 and gtx 3070) can
end up faster than a higher spec laptop.

5. Laptops are often storage limited, which often requires an external disk
chassis or a NAS (network attached storage).  NAS are great, but expensive.
Laptop replacements because of lack of ram expansion or storage expansion are
relatively common.

6. Desktops are generally easier to live with.  Ergonomics of a big LCD panel,
mouse, and keyboard are generally much better and easier to customize than a
laptop and can be customized easily. Sure laptops can use external keyboards and
monitors, but that adds cost on top of the higher laptop pricing.  Desktops are
generally quieter, especially under load.

If you don't need mobility I'd recommend an Intel NUC or System76 Meerkat, if
you need something expandable there's quite a few options from many vendors,
including System76 or Dell if you want Linux support.  Dell has a list at:

https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/overview/cp/linuxsystems

But generally I favor system76 since they not only are they supporting Linux on
their hardware, but actively trying to improve the Linux desktop experience.

Because of the GPU shortage I'd consider a desktop with an AMD APU (like the AMD
Ryzen 5700g) in a chassis that allows adding a GPU later.  So when the GPU
supply/pricing returns to normal you can add a GPU (if needed).