[vox] email stuff!

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Jun 12 00:46:37 PDT 2019

Since I did that for my friend Don concerning his n0ano.com domain,
let's do some of the same for LUGOD.

Checking the DNSreport CGI at tools.dnsstuff.com for 'lugod.org':

1.  Domain sends mail yet (according to the CGI) refuses mail to
postmaster@ and abuse@

postmaster@ requirement:   RFC822 6.3, RFC1123 5.2.7, and RFC2821 4.5.1
abuse@ requirement:  RFC2142 Section 2

2.  Looks like there are some problems with glue records in the parent
.org zone -- but I see that LUGOD has outsourced its DNS to TierrNet
d/b/a DomainDiscover, my old registrar from many years ago.  Yeah, they
always had problems with that, referring to ns1.tierra.net in some
places and ns1.domaindiscover.com in other places.  LUGOD isn't going to
be able to get them to fix that -- unless you make the decision to stop
outsourcing and use LUGOD-specified nameservers.

3.  Likewise, Domain Discover are gladly willing to reveal to the entire
Internet that they run specifically version 4.0.7 of PowerDNS.  I like
PowerDNS for large sites, but I sure wouldn't enable version.bind
queries for anyone on the Internet, like that.  (This is obviously also
not under LUGOD's control except by using non-Domain Discover
authoritative nameservers.

4.  Their SOA EXPIRE is, like Don Dugger's, much shorter than is
RFC-recommended.  Dunno, are you able to edit the SOA?  If so, it really
ought to be raised to the bracket 1209600 to 2419200 seconds.

Moving on fron DNSreport:

Your SPF RR is "v=spf1 a mx -all" .  Let's see what those two tokens point to:

:r! dig -t a lugod.org +short
138.197.203.91

:r! dig -t mx lugod.org +short
10 www.lugod.org.
:r! dig -t a www.lugod.org. +short
138.197.203.91

So, as with Don Dugger's SFP RR for n0ano.com, this is grossly
inefficient, being basically a complicated way of saying IP
138.197.203.91, except with pointless resolution of two A records and an
MX record, just so receiving MTAs can query that information.  It would
be much more straightforward to just say

lugod.org.  IN  TXT  "v=spf1 ip4:138.197.203.91 -all"

...thus requiring a total of zero extra DNS resolutions to use the
published SPF information, instead of three pointless extra DNS
resolutions.