[vox] Upcoming Meeting! September's "Hack LUGOD and Trivia Quiz!"

Timothy D Thatcher daniel.thatcher at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 18:44:12 PDT 2018

On Thu, Sep 13, 2018 at 3:46 PM Brian E. Lavender <brian at brie.com> wrote:

> >      * A review of the past year at LUGOD.
>
> A lot of people show up at the socials.

People coming to the socials has been a blast, especially when it's a
dozen or more people!

> >      * Planning more exciting meetings, including at least one
> >        Installfest.
>
> Oh, the dreaded installfest. "Hi, I have this old computer that was
> sitting in the corner of my garage. Can you help me put GNU/Linux on it?"

So you're volunteering to help, then? Great! We'll see you there! :D

I'll save most of my own thoughts on installfests for the meeting :)
But I kind of lean towards thinking that they're outdated,
at least in their historical form. I may be wrong. I'd love to be
proven wrong, in fact! So I think we're going to go ahead and
try to prove me wrong, which is fine by me.

> >      * Announcing some minor tweaks to the club's by-laws.
>
> Two people instead of three for a quorum?
>
> >      * Getting membership authorisation for spending club funds on needed
> >        equipment.
>
> Big screen TV? Did that bulb burn out again on the projector?

A power bank to power a display at the farmer's market where we won't
have an outlet available is the biggest purchase. And some adjustments
to the bylaws to make some of the current duties of officers a little
more clear, as they've changed a bit over time. We're trying to kind
of bring
the club up to date all around, as there's some legacy stuff banging
around that's desperately in need of updating.

> >      * Getting membership authorisation to change banks.
>
> Time for a party?

I'll talk about the bank thing at the meeting. It's not a huge deal,
but we did want to make sure nobody had any objections over choosing a
new institution since
our current one isn't particularly serving our needs right now.

> >      * Discussing our financial position.
>
> Enough money to buy pizza, cake and punch?

20th anniversary in January! I'm looking forward to it. I think we're
going to do a repeat of last year's anniversary at Woodstock's, which
was a pretty big success, unless
anyone has a suggestion for a different venue in town that won't break the bank.

> >      * Looking at better publicity for the club.
>
> Oh, that takes work.

Yes, yes it does. Would you like to be publicity officer? :)

Tim