[vox] [Semi-OT] New Tux Paint released!

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Fri Sep 7 00:40:28 PDT 2018

My friends (including Mark Kim, another LUGOD alum) and I
recently cut & released a new version of Tux Paint, the
open source drawing program for kids, which was born from
a conversation (with Stephen Matthew Helms) after a LUGOD
meeting, way back in 2002!

The new version doesn't add much in the way of functionality,
but the codebase was cleaned up a bit, the docs were restructured
a little, a color-picker tool was added, some new localizations
were done, and most importantly (and thanks to lots of hard work
and testing my Mark!), it's now able to run on the latest versions
of macOS.  (Something changed in OS X 10.11, which caused the
previous version of Tux Paint, from 2014, to break.  A similar
thing happened when OS X 10.10 came out, breaking things in
the 2009 version of Tux Paint!)

It's available as source code (obviously), Mac OS X / OS X / macOS
10.7 through 10.13 (and hopefully it won't break when 10.14 hits!),
and as RPMs for RHEL 6.x and 7, both 64- and 32-bit.

A semi-official (in that it's still managed separately from the
main code-base) version is available for Android (via F-Droid).
A totally un-official iOS port also exists in the Apple App Store.

And it's packaged in Debian, Ubuntu, and Slackware Linuxes, and
will no doubt update soon.  I belive NetBSD and FreeBSD packages
will probably get updates, too!

Learn all about it from:  http://www.tuxpaint.org/

Thanks for listening!

Sent from my computer