[vox] Can a big business really run completely on Linux FOSS?

T. Mark techmark at tutanota.de
Sun May 14 19:00:01 PDT 2017

The biggest of the big guys have been running Linux-based servers as opposed to Microsoft's for many, many years now.  I'll refrain from going on & on, as you were probably tongue-in-cheek.. I think Brian's answer encapsulates the mood actually.

Some very professional outfits help big entities do this, you may recognize these names...  (WOULD THAT Britain's NHS had had the sense to get to work on this, vs. sticking with XP all this time which apparently just landed them in "ransomware"..)
twitter.com/RedHatGov
twitter.com/Linux_at_IBM
etc etc

And instead of saying "go read this link dummy!" how about a germane copy&pasted sample.  (Hmm.. do you think any of these are big entities?)
.
.
Union Bank of California announced in January 2007 that it would standardize its IT infrastructure on Red Hat Enterprise Linux in order to lower costs.[106]
Peugeot, the European car maker, announced plans to deploy up to 20,000 copies of Novell's Linux desktop, SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop, and 2,500 copies of SUSE Linux Enterprise Server, in 2007.[107]
Mindbridge, a software company, announced in September 2007 that it had migrated a large number of Windows servers onto a smaller number of Linux servers and a few BSD servers. It claims to have saved "bunches of money."[108]
Virgin America, the low cost U.S. airline, uses Linux to power its in-flight entertainment system, RED.[109]
Amazon.com, the US based mail-order retailer, uses Linux "in nearly every corner of its business".[110]
Google uses a version of Ubuntu internally nicknamed Goobuntu.[111][112][113][114]
IBM does extensive development work for Linux and also uses it on desktops and servers internally.[115] The company also created a TV advertising campaign: IBM supports Linux 100%.[116]
Wikimedia Foundation moved to running its Wikipedia servers on Ubuntu in late 2008, after having previously used a combination of Red Hat and Fedora.[117]
DreamWorks Animation adopted the use of Linux since 2001, and uses more than 1,000 Linux desktops and more than 3,000 Linux servers.[118][119][120]
The Chicago Mercantile Exchange employs an all-Linux computing infrastructure and has used it to process over a quadrillion dollars worth of financial transactions[121][122]
The Chi-X pan-European equity exchange runs its MarketPrizm trading platform software on Linux.[122]
The London Stock Exchange uses the Linux-based MillenniumIT Millennium Exchange software for its trading platform and predicts that moving to Linux from Windows will give it an annual cost savings of at least £10 million ($14.7 million) from 2011–12.[123][124]
The New York Stock Exchange uses Linux to run its trading applications.[122]
.
.

   source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_adopters

IMHO this is a crucial juncture at which  to talk up the advantages of ditching proprietary, wormy OSes.  May our advocacy take on new life!

Happy trails,
  Mark

--
twitter.com/linuxusergroup