[vox] Talk idea: "back to the terminal"

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Sat Apr 1 10:32:35 PDT 2017

As I've been futzing around getting on the Internet with my little
8-bit Atari, with the help of Linux, it occurs to me that others
out here may find some of these 'old-school command-line' tools
useful for their own purposes.

For example, today I just found out there's an IRC gateway to
Twitter and other social networks (as well as, unsurprisingly,
instant messenger protocols).  And a week or so ago, I discovered
a stream-based text terminal interface to Twitter.

I'd be happy to talk about (and _possibly_ demonstrate) some
of these.  I actually use some of this stuff in my day-to-day
life, not just when I'm pretending it's 1993 and I'm BBS'ing
at 19.2Kbps.  For example, Mutt is my email client of choice.
(Gmail is that thing I use to test HTML emails at work, before
sending them out to users. ;) )

Would there be any interest?

And while I'm here, is anyone interested in speaking
(either instead, in April... or down the road)?  We're in need
to guest speakers again! :)

Sent from my computer