[vox] Installfest? should be Wouldntitbecooliffest

Brian E. Lavender brian at brie.com
Fri Oct 7 16:01:07 PDT 2016

Back in the day when Installfests were fun, most of us struggled
to get things working: sound, video, web server, partitioning, hardware
support, you name it.

Those challenges no longer exist!

I propose installfest turns into a "Wouldn't it be cool if" fest. So,
I propose that we turn it into that, a "wouldntitbecooliffest". No need
to have people provide their installation challenges, cause there are
none. No need to ask attendees what type of hardware they have: cause
if it doesn't work, it probably still won't work!

Promote it as big ideas on GNU/Linux!

Here is how to create a bootable thumb drive
We should get the thumb drives and load them up and sell them for ten bucks
a pop as a fundraiser!
https://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/create-a-usb-stick-on-windows

LiveCDCustomization
Create an Ubuntu Live customized CD
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCDCustomization

OLSR Mesh
Mesh networks self-arrange and auto-configure themselves
https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/mesh.olsr

OpenWRT (and bring a router that works! no POS and nothing you are afraid to brick or open up to
debrick!) I debricked the Linksys WRT1900AC, and it was pretty cool!
https://openwrt.org/

Ruby on Rails - Web Application Framework
Turnkey live CD
https://www.turnkeylinux.org/rails

Put Debian Xen on the NUC with Openvswitch
https://wiki.debian.org/Xen
https://packages.debian.org/jessie/openvswitch-common

Ubuntu Server Cookbook
Print ISBN-13: 978-1-78588-306-4