[vox] Changing your OEM Windows 7 from Dual Boot to Virtual Machine

Rod Roark rod at sunsetsystems.com
Tue May 17 21:28:19 PDT 2016

On 05/17/2016 09:36 AM, Jeff Newmiller wrote:
> I don't know how to get the uuid from hardware either, but your
> further explanation of why this workaround works helps.

I found a way to do this in Linux:

   sudo dmidecode -s system-uuid

However I think it's only of academic interest here, as this is surely
only one of many different attributes of the hardware that Windows looks
at to determine if you are installing on a different computer.  So you
will doubtless have to go through the activation process for the first
VM.  The reason for occasional future clones is disk storage
optimization (using also sdelete as noted).

Rod