[vox] Changing your OEM Windows 7 from Dual Boot to Virtual Machine

Rod Roark rod at sunsetsystems.com
Tue May 17 07:38:02 PDT 2016

If I knew how to retrieve the original UUID I would... but it turns out
that is not necessary.  The install works with whatever UUID is in the
VM and can be activated via smartphone.  However if you then clone the
VM without making sure the UUID is preserved, the resulting VM has to be
activated again... too many of those and they are bound to get difficult
about it.

On 05/17/2016 07:23 AM, Jeff Newmiller wrote:
> The procedure appears to never retrieve the hardware UUID from your
> bare metal install. If you are trying to transition from a license
> associated with your existing windows install, wouldn't you want to
> continue using that uuid? Without it, wouldn't you need to buy at
> least one new license?
> --
[original post omitted]