[vox] Rumor has it SACLUG is dead.

Bob Scofield scofield at omsoft.com
Wed Jul 20 20:02:54 PDT 2016

I don't get this Ubuntu on Linux stuff.  I'm not a techie.  I probably
belong in the Linux Hall of Fame for using Linux as a desktop user for
13 years and learning the least Linux of anyone. You have to admit that
it doesn't take much knowledge to run Linux these days, we don't even
have to use the old mount commands for CD's and floppies anymore.  Of
course floppies aren't around anymore.

I watched the video linked at the bottom of this thread.  I don't get
it.  This Linux on Windows is mostly for developers.  So what are they
supposed to be developing?  Windows programs?

Otherwise it seems there has to be some kind of major change. Otherwise,
Linux is now acceptable.  But if that's true, then there have to be more
Linux programs.  I've heard from talking to people, or have read, that
some people believe that it was Microsoft that is responsible for Corel
no longer producing WordPerfect for Linux and for Adobe Photoshop for
Linux to no longer be developed.

The last I checked some years ago Itunes wouldn't run on Linux. That's
interesting since the Mac and Linux both run on, or are, Unix systems.
I have interpreted this as Apple being Microsoft's little buddy helping
make sure that Linux does not get popular.  Apple is useful because it
helps negate the claim that Microsoft is a monopoly.

So my question is, what does this Linux on Windows mean?  What is
Microsoft up to?

Bob