[vox] How are lugod-local.ics and lugod-only.ics generated?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sat Jan 2 18:56:00 PST 2016

I've long been one of the biggest fans of LUGOD's
http://www.lugod.org/calendar/ , especially because, since 1997, I've
maintained the calendar Bay Area Linux Events, and LUGOD's is prettier.
Moreover, and I say this with heartfelt appreciation as someone who
knows how much trouble is involved, the events/groups contents are
always _really_ well maintained.

The webcal://www.lugod.org/calendar/lugod-local.ics and
    webcal://www.lugod.org/calendar/lugod-only.ics
feature is distinctively nice.  _So_:

1.  Is it generated from the same back-end database that (I assume)
drives the Web calendar?

2.  What software generates the iCalendar files?  Is it available?
Is it open source?

3.  Same questions for the site's RSS+XML News Feed.

Thank you.  Please?

One of these days, I'd like to make BALE auto-output iCalendar files.
I've come pretty close just hacking dumped data using awk and sed, but
it'd be nice to not reinvent wheels if it's a solved problem.

FWIW, a complete set of BALE's software & conffiles is available (GPLv2+):
http://linuxmafia.com/pub/linux/network/autobale-1.0.tar.gz
Requirements:  /usr/bin/php5, any Web server (need not do PHP),
autoconf, cron, Python.