[vox] TPP "Corporate Coup d'État" and copyright anti circumvention measures

Brian E. Lavender brian at brie.com
Fri May 1 13:26:13 PDT 2015

Check this story on DemocracyNow on TPP.
http://www.democracynow.org/2015/5/1/ralph_nader_on_bernie_sanders_the

A leaked chapter of the TPP proposes to restrict copyright anti
circumvention measures1[1]. If you look at what we do with GNU/Linux, you
see cases where GNU/Linux is discriminated against or outlawed. First
case is the Netflix running on GNU/Linux. Up until recently, you couldn't
run netflix on your linux distro. And, even now, you have to use Chrome
or WINE to run it.  The reason I can think Netflix doesn't support
GNU/LInux is there is that users can better control the information and
if they decide they could illegally restribute it they could do so more
easily. GNU/Linux users don't usually work with their hands tied behind
their back. Second case I can think of is the DeCSS code and it's use
to view DVDs on GNU/Linux. With DeCSS, you don't have to watch the FBI
warning. It made DVDs watchable the way GNU/Linux users want to watch
them. Yet, I seem to recall the threat that the author of DeCSS could
have gone to jail for code that you can print on a T-shirt. I think these
illustrated the dangers of DMCA and TPP moves to takes these measures
to new levels.

I encourage everyone to write their representative to oppose the fast track of TPP.
It's a slippery slope!
https://www.eff.org/issues/tpp

[1] https://www.eff.org/document/leaked-tpp-intellectual-property-chapter-may-2014

brian