[vox] [fwd] SVLUG June 3rd meeting: Kevin Dankwardt on Time on Linux

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Tue Jun 2 17:55:26 PDT 2015

Tomorrow at SVLUG in Mtn View!

-bill!

----- Forwarded message from Rick Moen

Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2015 02:59:29 -0700
From: Rick Moen
Subject: [svlug-announce] SVLUG June 3rd meeting: Kevin Dankwardt on Time on Linux

WHEN:

Wednesday, June 3rd, 2015
7pm-9pm

MAIN PRESENTATION

TOPIC:  Time on Linux

PRESENTED BY:
 Kevin Dankwardt

TOPIC SUMMARY:
With a leap second
(http://www.eweek.com/cloud/google-says-its-ready-for-leap-second-on-june-30.html)
coming up this (adding one more second to the world's day on June 30th,
2015), it is perhaps timely (see what I did, there?) to discuss Linux's
handling of the important but oft-ignored problem of keeping accurate
time. Timekeeping is vital to security, correct functioning of just
about every network protocol, and many other things. Kevin will talk
about precision and granularity, a little bit about ntpd (the network
time protocol daemon), timers, and the time API in userspace and in the
Linux kernel.

ABOUT THE PRESENTER:
Kevin Dankwardt, Ph.D. (http://kcomputing.com/dankwardt.html) has been
training engineers and administrators in Linux for over twenty years. He
is now embarking on consulting and training for Go developers.

LOCATION:

 Symantec
 VCAFE Facility
 350 Ellis Street (near E. Middlefield Road)
 Mountain View, CA 94043

 http://www.svlug.org/directions/symantec.php

webmaster at svlug.org

POST-MEETING GATHERING:

restaurant/diner after the meeting:  Frankie, Johnnie & Luigi, Too,
939 West El Camino Real between Shoreline and Castro, Mountain View.

We look forward to seeing you there!

----- End forwarded message -----

Sent from my computer