[vox] [EFF: slam the brakes on TPP]

Brian Lavender brian at brie.com
Wed Jan 29 13:40:39 PST 2014

Take action now against TPP. Unfortnuately, our friend Aaron Schwartz is no
longer with us to support this cause. But, with your help, you can bring
attention to this dangerous treaty.

----- Forwarded message from Maira Sutton | EFF International Team <action at eff.org> -----

Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2014 12:12:31 -0800
From: Maira Sutton | EFF International Team <action at eff.org>
To: Brian Lavender <brian at brie.com>
Subject: Take action: slam the brakes on TPP

      This is a friendly message from the Electronic Frontier Foundation.
   [1]View it in a web browser.
   Electronic Frontier Foundation

   Dear Brian,

      Barack Obama used his State of the Union address last night to call on
      Congress for a "fast track" for trade agreements like the Trans-Pacific
      Partnership (TPP). The pressure's on Congress, and that means it's
      never been more urgent that we stop the secrecy surrounding this
      undemocratic agreement.

      [2][fast-track-train.png]

      What's so dangerous about "fast track"? If Congress passes the bill
      (HR3830/S.1900), it severely limits its own ability to review or amend
      agreements. That means Hollywood won't have to worry about our elected
      representatives standing in the way of TPP and its extreme copyright
      provisions. That's why we need to stop the Fast Track bill--to defeat
      TPP.

      If you're a US voter, [3]visit StopFastTrack.com now to call and
      message your elected representatives. Once you get to the site, you can
      enter your ZIP code and you'll be connected to your Congressperson.

      Privacy Info: This telephone calling service is [4]powered by Twilio
      and will connect you to your representative. Information about your
      call, including your phone number and the time and length of your call,
      will be collected by Twilio and subject to [5]Twilio's privacy policy.

      You can also use [6]EFF's action tool to contact your representatives
      about opposing this bill.

      Protests Across North America

      This Friday, January 31, hundreds of groups and thousands of
      individuals across the US and around the world are planning protests
      against TPP and the Fast Track bill. [7]Check out this map to see if
      there's a protest organized near you. Then show up and tell others
      about why you're against TPP.

      We want to generate thousands of calls and messages this week leading
      to Friday's protests. Once you've taken action, please remember to
      share this on [8]Twitter, [9]Facebook, [10]Google+, and other social
      networking sites to ask your friends to join you. It's as easy as
      posting this message:

      Congress is dangerously close to giving #TPP the "fast track." Speak
      out now: https://eff.org/r.e6st

      We need all the help we can get to defeat secret copyright agreements.

      Defending your rights in the digital world,

      Maira Sutton
      International Team
      Electronic Frontier Foundation

   Footer

   Electronic Frontier Foundation, 815 Eddy Street, San Francisco, CA
   94109 USA
   EFF appreciates your support and respects your [11]privacy.
   [12]Unsubscribe or change your email preferences.