[vox] Request for info about your group for the LUG booth at SCALE

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Sat Jan 18 00:30:32 PST 2014

On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 12:02:12PM -0800, jim wrote:

>     I'm hoping someone in your group can send me information
> that I can use at SCALE (Southern California Linux Expo)
> on the weekend of February 21, 22, 23.
>     I plan on making an info sheet (or map) for all
> northern California LUGs.
>
> * Where do you hold your meetings (address, any other
> info about access)?

Typically at the public library in Davis.  Specifically:

  Yolo County Public Library, Mary L. Stephens Davis Branch
  315 East 14th Street
  Davis, CA 95616

I guess you could list that, and say 'unless otherwise noted'.
(There are definitely days that we'd normally meet which fall on
holidays that the library is closed on.)

> * When do you hold your meetings (probably a particular
> day of the month, e.g. third Tuesday), include day
> and also time?

Third Monday of each month, 7pm-9pm

Now, we additionally have regular monthly social gatherings,
but I think we can ignore those, for the purpose of the
SCALE handout. :)

> * What's the format of your meetings (regular speaker
> or meet and greet or support for users or all of
> the above or ...)?

Regular speaker (as well as club business).

We don't allocate specific blocks of time for meet-and-greet,
nor for support.  Our monthly social gatherings (or going out
to snacks after a general meeting) seems to suffice for the
meet-and-greet.

We've held installfests (less regular these days), and have
mailing lists 'n such which seems to suffice for support.

> * Do your group have a web site? If so, please
> provide the URL.

Do we ever! ;)  (yes, I'm proud!)

  http://www.lugod.org/

> * Are you interested in getting speakers for your
> meetings?

Definitely!  We're always looking for speakers!

We have a 'call for speakers / what to expect / how to schedule' page,
in fact:

  http://www.lugod.org/speak/

>     If you know of any LUGs not on the list below,
> please send me contact info.

There are also SacLUG and SacBLUG in Sacramento.

Brian Lavender of LUGOD (here on this list) used to run SacLUG.
so can talk more about them.  They're small, but still meet monthly
with a presentation (typically by someone from the club itself, these days).

  http://www.saclug.org/

SacBLUG has seemed to dissipate, as its small set of core members have
moved away from the area (e.g., out to Reno).  They still hang out on
#sacblug on irc.freenode.net, but it seems like meetings don't happen
any more.  They're relatively young, and weren't super-formal.
(It's BLUG because they're very much into BSD, including Mac OS X.)

  http://www.sacblug.org/

>     If you are going to SCALE, there definitely
> will be a LUG booth and it will definitely need
> people to staff it and anyone staffing the booth
> (put in a couple of hours at least one day) can
> get an exhibitor's pass. Let me know, please, so
> I can add your name and coordinate hours.

Great to hear, thanks!

-bill!

> List of LUGs and related groups
>
> BAD Bay Area Debian (SF and east bay -- I'm not subscribed to this mail
> list)
> Felton Linux Group (I'm not subscribed to this mail list)
> EBLUG (I'm not subscribed to this mail list)
>
> BALUG (SF),
> BerkeleyLUG,
> BUUG (berkeley)
> Conspire-LinuxMafia (peninsula),
> DVLUG (Walnut Creek-Concord),
> LinuxChix,
> LUGOD (Davis),
> NBLUG (Sebastapol),
> OpenHatch,
> OLPC-SF (One Laptop Per Child SF),
> SF-LUG,
> SVLUG (peninsula),
>
> bayPIGgies,
> py4science
> (any other language-related groups that pertain to Linux?)

Sent from my computer