[vox] 'Homework' for Monday's LUGOD talk on blekko

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Sat Sep 14 21:56:17 PDT 2013

On 09/14/2013 04:47 PM, Bill Kendrick wrote:
> ----- Forwarded message from Greg Lindahl -----
>
> Hi! This is Greg Lindahl, your speaker for Monday the 16th. I'm going
> to be talking about blekko's search engine, and I'd like to give you
> guys some homework to do so that I can drag informed opinions from you
> at the end of my talk.
>
> If you go to https://blekko.com and run some queries, you'll see that
> we're trying hard to be different from Google. One way is that we use
> human curation -- the curation is open data! -- and the other way is
> that we cluster results into categories. This second feature works
> best with more ambiguous queries. So, your homework:
>
> * Make a couple of ambiguous but non-geeky queries, and see what you
> think.
>
> * Make a couple of ambiguous geeky queries, and see what you think.
>
> * And finally, make a couple of your typical geeky queries.
>
> There will be a pop quiz at the end of my talk. Thanks!
>
> -- greg
>
> ----- End forwarded message -----
>

> For more on Monday's meeting, visit http://www.lugod.org/meeting/ as usual!

Comments and questions in case I don't make it in person (feel free to
answer them in the talk).

1. Why is the Blekko search engine for firefox not on Linux? Usually the
search engine add-on is a simple wrapper to post to the main site, this
plugin seems more elaborate/invasive.
2. The search results box seems to be fixed height, which is taller than
many laptops. I was kinda hoping with the cool hover arrow to see more I
wouldn't need to scroll at all. Sadly not the case.

I'll go back to doing the homework now.

Thanks,
Alex