[vox] 'Homework' for Monday's LUGOD talk on blekko

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Sat Sep 14 16:47:07 PDT 2013

----- Forwarded message from Greg Lindahl -----

Hi! This is Greg Lindahl, your speaker for Monday the 16th. I'm going
to be talking about blekko's search engine, and I'd like to give you
guys some homework to do so that I can drag informed opinions from you
at the end of my talk.

If you go to https://blekko.com and run some queries, you'll see that
we're trying hard to be different from Google. One way is that we use
human curation -- the curation is open data! -- and the other way is
that we cluster results into categories. This second feature works
best with more ambiguous queries. So, your homework:

* Make a couple of ambiguous but non-geeky queries, and see what you
think.

* Make a couple of ambiguous geeky queries, and see what you think.

* And finally, make a couple of your typical geeky queries.

There will be a pop quiz at the end of my talk. Thanks!

-- greg

----- End forwarded message -----

For more on Monday's meeting, visit http://www.lugod.org/meeting/ as usual!

Sent from my computer