[vox] OLPC SF Community Summit 2013

Brian Lavender brian at brie.com
Wed Oct 2 09:43:58 PDT 2013

ugh, can't make it. I am going camping that weekend. I will be swimming
with the fishes and spearing one if I can in Fort Bragg.

So what is the deal with the mesh networking? I looked at the specs for
the X0-4_Touch and it looks like all it supports is ad-hoc.
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XO-4_Touch

It looks like the networking page is a little old, but I agree with the
idea "could connect to other laptops in their vicinity regardless of
the presence or not of connectivity infrastructure"
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Wireless

And, I see that the 802.11s is now standardized by the IEEE.
At least according to this website
http://open80211s.org/open80211s/

Mesh seems very key to OLPC. I think it is the next
revolution in communications even outside of OLPC.