[vox] dual boot Linux on a Mac?

Daniel Nelson packetcollision at gmail.com
Sat Feb 16 16:13:22 PST 2013

Not all Linux Distros have perfect support for Apple hardware (I think Ubuntu does have support), but there isn't any intrinsic issue with dual-booting Linux. The simplest way is to use the Boot Camp Assistant to resize your hard drive and then just install Linux when it tells you to install Windows :). That will use the BIOS emulation mode that Windows needs though, whereas some Linux distributions can use native EFI booting, but I don't know how easy that is to set up. It's probably as simple as setting up rEFIt, but it might not be.

I have a 13" MBP w/ Retina, and I'd be happy to try booting from any Linux live USB distro (it doesn't have a CD drive) you want and see if it works properly. That said, I must say that despite years of using Linux as my daily OS, OS X is much more polished, and still has all the nice *NIX underpinnings, so my Linux use is now confined to servers and my HTPC.
--
Daniel Nelson