[vox] Can anyone help?

Bill Broadley bill at broadley.org
Thu Feb 14 15:50:25 PST 2013

On 02/14/2013 02:49 PM, Vincenzo Ampolo wrote:
> On 02/14/2013 02:47 PM, Scot A wrote:
>> Bill,
>> How much room would I need on said thumb drive?
>> (And yes my computer is about 10 years old.)
>> Namaste'
>> Scot
>
> 2Gb should be enough.

2GB should be plenty, but 10 years old might need a CD/DVD, I'd google
for your motherboard or look in BIOS for boot options to see if USB is
possible.  I believe USB booting was pretty rare in 2003, maybe only on
laptops.

> 4Gb would be great.
>
> And if it's 10 years old you can start discarding Ubuntu (latest) from
> your list of choices.

Yeah, that's old enough I'm not sure I'd recommend any of the mainstream
choices.  How much ram do you have?  CPU?  Disk?

That's likely constrained enough that you should look at the lighter
weight distributions, unfortunately I'm not particularly familiar with them.

Something that fully supports XFCE should work, there are many others,
but that's one of the more popular light weight desktop environments.

Definitely avoid Ubuntu or any distribution that forces a 3D desktop.

Hmm, ubuntu-server might work, then build from there carefully with
xfce4.  Not something I'd recommend for a beginner, but might be
feasible for an install fest.