[vox] Ardupilot, UAVs, and linux.

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Sat Nov 10 14:49:57 PST 2012

On 11/09/2012 07:29 PM, Bill Broadley wrote:

> I've been watching UAVs and they have come quite far in the last year or
> two.  Seems like Linux is often used for route planning, software devel,
> and related features, but not usually actually running on the UAV.
>

> Anyone doing anything with UAVs?

@ UC DAVIS
CSTARS (Remote Sensing Lab) had a couple of planes that crashed a few
years back.

Michele and I have done RC mini Hot air ballon and now do Kite
Photography (flies in 4 mph wind+) with cameras as large as Rebels (with
NIR sensitivity), so R,G,B and IR bands.
https://sites.google.com/site/mtobiasresearch/
http://youtube.com/MicheleTobias

We work with a group called The Public Laboratory org which does quite a
bit of work on this topic and other DIY science. They have a cool online
photo stitcher tool.
http://publiclaboratory.org/

In Watershed/Env Sci. Viers lab is using a Helium Balloon rig from
Public Lab.

I met someone from Upadhyaya's precision ag lab that is using a quad or
octo copter (sadly not arduino).

I also saw there's a multi-rotor heli racing meetup in Sacramento.

We'd love to do more, just need some grants to afford the parts. The
Kite rig we have is $300-$800 depending on what camera you want.

Side note, some of the publiclab people do fly android phones so they
can do video and stream to the internet, but not control the flight.

Thanks,
Alex