[vox] Electronic Arts attending Ubuntu Developer Summit

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Thu May 3 12:38:17 PDT 2012

Electronic Arts Attending Ubuntu Developer Summit
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/?p=56672
By Joey Sneddon, Published May 3, 2012

  One of the worlds largest games publishers -- Electronic Arts -- are to
  deliver a short presentation at next weeks Ubuntu Developer Summit.

  EA has published some of the worlds most successful gaming
  franchises, including The Sims, Harry Potter and Battlefield.

  The EA plenary session is only scheduled to last 15 minutes, but
  following the news that digital games distribution system Steam is
  coming to Linux chances are that it will yield some exciting
  information for Ubuntu users and gamers on Linux alike.

  The talk ties in with a  between Canonical and a major games publisher.

  Could we shortly be seeing The Sims available for purchase in the
  Ubuntu Software Center?

My comments:

 (1) This could be very exciting
 (2) EA goes a LONG way back.  (I've got 5.25" floppies of EA games
     for my Atari 8-bit computer sitting here... some I've personally
     owned since I got them as a kid in the early-to-mid 1980s :) )
 (3) EA is known to be kind of an 'evil' company these days, sadly
     (off the top of my head, I vaguely recall both complaints from
     developers working at EA, as well as end-using customers).
     That said, this could be an interesting door-opener for other
     companies.
 (4) Quoting Zach Slater (ioquake3 guy, plus much more):
     "hopefully it won't involve wine" :^)

Links about:
  Electronic Arts:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_Arts

  The EA plenary session @ UDS:
    http://summit.ubuntu.com/uds-q/meeting/20649/electronic-arts/

  The mentioned rumor on Twitter:
    https://twitter.com/#!/michaellarabel/status/195229110472151041

  Valve Software's "Steam" digital distribution and (yay :^[) DRM platform:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_(software)

Sent from my computer