[vox] ubuntu, java, and processing

Eric Engelhard ericengelhard at comcast.net
Tue Jan 10 20:19:49 PST 2012

On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 12:32:44AM -0800, Bill Broadley wrote:

> > Yes, I should have clarified that it is published APPLETS that I can
> > not view such as my own applets as well as those at
> > openprocessing.org.
>
> Can you name one specifically?  I tried conways game of life, spore 1,
> and sport 2 without problems with both google chrome and openjdk without
> problems.

With openjdk-6-jre icedtea6-plugin openjdk-6-jdk and either Firefox
3.6.24 or Chromium 15.0.874.106 (Developer Build 107270 Linux) Ubuntu
10.04 the following sketch applet (or ANY other on openprocessing.org)
does not display:

http://www.openprocessing.org/visuals/?visualID=39078

> > I can design locally, but can not view my work
> > pushed to my web pages. I am still running Ubuntu 10.04 on my netbook
> > and would be very interested if 11.10 resolves this issue, but I
> > believe that it does not.
>
> Works for me.

This is a known issue:
"OpenJDK and IcedTea are also unlikely to work, however we'll update
this as those projects progress. "