[vox] What is you opinion on having a Java EE talk for March?

Eric Rasmussen ericrasmussen at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 18:10:05 PST 2012

Let me preface this by saying that according to some web development
communities, Java's niche seems to be enterprise web development by large
teams. The reasons I hear (warning: possible stereotypes and faulty
assumptions ahead!) are:

1) The language itself is limited and results in a lot of boilerplate code,
requiring more development and maintenance time
2) Deployment requires powerful servers, tons of configuration, etc.
3) The apps use a lot of memory so many web hosts don't support it

It sounds like some of the libraries you've found might mitigate that and
give people a reason to rethink Ruby on Rails or Django for their next app.
In particular I'm really interested in how Java might benefit lone
developers and small teams, either in terms of increased productivity or
the security/stability/performance of the end product, and maybe a basic
rundown of how to affordably launch a Java app.

-Eric