[vox] Java framework presentation called Wicket at SacJUG

Brian Lavender brian at brie.com
Thu Sep 8 12:45:29 PDT 2011

I am doing a talk on Wicket at SacJUG next Tuesday.
http://www.sacjug.org

Here is an announcement about the meeting and some details I
sent to the SacJUG mailing list.

I recommend getting Eclipse Helios for trying things out. Indigo
is a more recent version, but the Jboss tools don't fully support
it yet.
http://www.eclipse.org/helios/

Great news! The Wicket team released 1.5.0 yesterday!
https://wicket.apache.org/2011/09/07/wicket-1.5-released.html

Download it.
http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/wicket/1.5.0

Make sure you have Maven in your path. You can apt-get install maven,
or you can download it from http://maven.apache.org . Oh, I assume that
you have a Java JDK installed too!

Change to the examples directory.
$ cd src/wicket-examples
$ mvn jetty:run

Point browser to
http://localhost:8080

I have been preparing for the talk for next Tuesday. On the SacJUG page
it says that Wicket makes web programming fun again, almost like every
other framework out there. It definitely has some good stuff, but there
are still hurdles to overcome. The biggest hurdle I have is working through an
example that uses the Spring DAO. I newest version of Wicket does have
an example, but I still have yet to go through the details enough that
I could explain it.

I also wrote some blogs on my experience with Wicket. Check them here.
http://brie.com/brian/blog/?cat=8

I bet if you have used Wicket, you probably know more than I do! I hope
that all to change by this upcoming Tuesday! The good news, is that I have
other resources that you can follow along with my learning process. ;-)

I created a git repository of a couple Wicket projects. These are two very
basic projects that you can clone using the Egit plugin for Eclipse and
peruse. They use Maven, so make sure that you have the Maven plugin too.
The repository is at the following url. You can clone it from the command
line using the below command.

$ git clone git://brie.com/git/sacjug

You can add Egit to Helios by adding the following software link.
http://download.eclipse.org/egit/updates

I hope to configure it so that I can have other developers contribute too.

Also, for the talk, I recommend installing the JBoss tools. The tools have
a nice html editor and a gui preview page. The tools run
in Helios, but are still in an "M" release for indigo, so I recommend
Helios at the moment. To install them, use the following url.
http://www.jboss.org/tools/download/installation/update_3_2.html

brian
--
Brian Lavender