[vox] Computer Science Legends

Edwin Groot evoldevo at googlemail.com
Sat Oct 15 13:29:44 PDT 2011

On 15/10/2011, Brian Lavender <brian at brie.com> wrote:
> Certainly Dennis Ritchie was a legend.

Hello Brian,
I would make my pitch for Konrad Zuse and his Z1.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z1_%28computer%29

This is not because I am currently living in Germany. Zuse built the
first binary computer in 1938! This was a beauty of creativity built
in the garage style of many startup companies.

I saw the replica in action at the Berlin Technical Museum a while
back. It was mechanically run with an AC motor, and really goes
ka-chunk ka-chunk while calculating. It was fascinating to watch
because it is large enough to see all the logic components, and slow
enough to follow what it was doing.

A must-see when you are in Berlin!

Edwin
p.s. I think the language used was Planalkul.