[vox] Regarding: "Stop Online Piracy Act" that everybody screams about...

Brian Lavender brian at brie.com
Mon Nov 28 14:17:51 PST 2011

On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 11:11:48AM -0700, timriley at appahost.com wrote:
> [...]

A lot of legislation these days comes from corporations. It goes
like this.  If you want to get elected, you need money to campaign to
buy advertising and fund groups (think tanks) that will create good
propaganda for you. And, most politicians return the favor. I find it
ironic that TV and radio advertising rakes in billions of dollars from
election campaigns that broadcast on the air we breath.

Copyright now is on the Mickey Mouse payment plan as copyright law
continually gets extended so that Mickey won't fall into public domain.

Programming which is based upon language theory now falls under patent
law. But, if you think patents on software is bad, wait until patents
on biotechnology start to show their impact. That will be a doosey.

We had a decent copyright and patent system, but as technology has
changed the tricksters say that the laws need revising.

Seeing how the supreme court now considers corporations people, I guess
they ought to have an opinion too. Especially considering that they are
the ones who contributed mostly to the bill.

--
Brian Lavender
http://www.brie.com/brian/

Professor C. A. R. Hoare