[vox] bogus staffing company?

Micah Cowan micah at cowan.name
Wed Nov 2 13:04:10 PDT 2011

(11/02/2011 12:44 PM), Brian Lavender wrote:
> I received what appears a bogus recruiting email from the following site.
> http://www.itbrainiac.com
>
> If you look at the website, it has no phone contact, names and appears to
> be.... bogus.

No phone contact? What about at
http://www.itbrainiac.com/contact_us.html (via the "Contact Us" tab)?

It doesn't strike me as all that unusual for names to be absent from a
website... is there anything in particular that makes you think this is
a bogus company? I don't see anything that strikes me as particularly
odd (cursory look). Except that they don't seem to be in whitepages.com
(but the number from their website maps to a NY, NY landline, matching
their contact address).

> The email doesn't address me and just lists the position.

Is that unusual for recruiters? I get that sort of unsolicited (but
apparently career-relevant), generic job offer all the time. All the
less surprising if you consider they probably blast the mail to a
prepared list of potentially-interested email addresses (culled from
resumes?)

--
Micah J. Cowan
http://micah.cowan.name/