[vox] Free to good home: Google Ion phone, Sprint AirCard Sierra 595U

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Thu May 12 22:56:08 PDT 2011

I have a Google Ion Android 1.2 (I think?) phone. It's basically identical to the original T-Mobile MyTouch (trackball, no physical keyboard), but Google branded. Comes with nothing but an A/C charger (no box, manual, or USB!)  Yours free*!  Email me off-list.

I also have a Sprint USB cell modem (Sierra Wireless 595U) that worked well with my Linux laptop a few years ago. It requires a Windows box to enable it, but after that, I was able to plug it in, do a few modprobes, and fire it up with "kppp" (KDE's GUI). No idea if it works as easily with more modern versions of the Linux kernel or more recent GUIs (you could always do hand-coded ppp stuff, of course :) )  In box with Windows software disc & some cradle thinger. Also free!*  You'll need to sign up with Sprint to use it, of course. Email me off-list.

Bonus item! Canon Powershot A540 digital camera. With a little spongey case. Takes SD cards (sorry, I have no spares!)  We probably have instructions & maybe even discs (Windows) somewhere. It almost certainly works with digital camera apps under Linux, though honestly I just popped the SD card out & plugged it into my laptop. Works great. Yours free*, email me off-list!

* Pick up in Davis... at my home, my regular haunt (Mishka's cafe), or at a LUGOD meeting.

PS - if you want to do me any favors in return (e.g. hardware projects or software help), or throw cash at me, I'll also happily accept. Mostly I'm just tired of staring at them in the garage, and would rather they have more loving homes. ;)

Sent from a mobile device