[vox] Ubuntu One?

Carl Boettiger cboettig at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 11:17:48 PDT 2011

I find it is basically like dropbox, if you're familiar with that, a
convenient way to sync files across different machines.  It's a nice
way to get another 2 gigs of cloud space, but not as useful since not
everyone has it.  It also syncs notes (from tomboy) and contacts (from
Evolution maybe? I don't find this useful), and a music library -- you
can buy songs through it and then have access to them through the
cloud (without counting against your storage space) as well as
locally.  I find the music store reasonable but a bit small, and
downloads are slow enough to be rather annoying. Though works right
inside rhythmbox...

It has a mobile package for android/iphones, but unlike dropbox, it's
not free (I'd be okay with a small one-time cost, but its $4/month..)

It's a convenient way to share files publicly.  I don't really need a
solution to sync my files across multiple ubuntu machines I use, since
 I already have other tools to do that and a lot of my workflow is in
already, but I could imagine that could be useful too.

-Carl

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 10:33 AM, Brian Lavender <brian at brie.com> wrote:
> It looks interesting, but I have yet to try it. I am interested to hear how
> it works.
>
> On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 10:38:23PM -0700, Bob Scofield wrote:
>> I was wondering if anyone who has joined Ubuntu One has an opinion about it?
>> What do you like or don't like?  What do you do with it?  Is it a gimmick, or
>> is there a value to it?
>>
>> I read a Wikipedia article about it a couple of weeks ago.  It said that
>> Kubuntu users can't yet use it.  Apparently Ubuntu One is working on a
>> Windows program.  It can't be that Windows users can use it, but not Kubuntu
>> users.  But I'm mainly interested in what people think about Ubuntu One.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Bob
>
> --
> Brian Lavender
> http://www.brie.com/brian/
>
> "There are two ways of constructing a software design. One way is to
> make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies. And the other
> way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies."
>
> Professor C. A. R. Hoare
> The 1980 Turing award lecture

Carl Boettiger
UC Davis