[vox] Who thinks Java is cool?

Brian Lavender brian at brie.com
Fri Jun 17 16:32:21 PDT 2011

On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 07:37:34PM -0700, Bill Broadley wrote:

> Eclipse is definitely pretty big and heavy, I'd recommend a semi recent
> desktop/laptop with a fair bit of ram for any serious use.

Eclipse runs well on my Vostro V13n with its 1.3 GHz processor and 4 Gigs ram.

Eclipse is cool in the way that you can edit XML, issue an XPath query,
connect to any number of databases, edit css, edit web pages, create
class diagrams by reverse engineering the database using Hibernate tools,
view the combined entity/class digrams with mappings to each using the
JBoss tools, good access to Java doc, add a database to your application
using the Derby plugin, and the whole domain of Java libararies is at
your disposal through Maven, etc.

Although, I still have yet to make a complete path at using Git with Eclipse.

--
Brian Lavender
http://www.brie.com/brian/

Professor C. A. R. Hoare