[vox] Who thinks Java is cool?

Gandalf Parker gandalf at community.net
Thu Jun 16 05:10:14 PDT 2011

On Wed, 15 Jun 2011, Bill Broadley wrote:

> On 06/13/2011 06:58 PM, Brian Lavender wrote:
>> I used to hate Java, but now I think it's cool.
>
> Been busy, but I couldn't represent throwing out a few (er, well it
> started that way) thoughts.

Nice writeup.
It follows what Ive decided also about the various languages.

I might one day decide I need to learn one. Maybe Python. But for now I
still use shell script or if that wont cut it then I revert to BASIC. :)
I use BASIC for my SysAdmin scripts on my internet server, and for web
CGI's, and for any kind of personal program. I use it on my Debian Linux
server and my Windows XP desktops.

Specifically, as if anyone cared, I use YaBasic (yet another basic)
because its in the debian catalog so it gets watched/updated automatically
with the rest of the server. Its compliant to the ANSI-Basic standards.
And it comes in a Windows flavor. And I can compile it if I need to
distribute or market some little routine. Altho lately I have been
considering QB64 for the latest Quick Basic 64bit release.

Like I said, I have all the books for the others. I can often
troubleshoot source code but I dont know any of them well enough to
write something from scratch. If I run into anything I cant do then I
might be motivated to really learn something else.

Gandalf  Parker
--
How strange. A programmers definition of having fun with a program
project seems just like my definition of stress and frustration.