[vox] hosed my ubuntu workstation

Eric Engelhard ericengelhard at comcast.net
Fri Jan 21 17:08:47 PST 2011

I hosed my Ubuntu install mucking about with BioPython.

Unfortunately, the Ubuntu version of BioPython is stale and does not
include Phylo (for parsing phylogenetic trees). I though I would just
do manual install, but I ended up breaking some dependencies. I was
about to give up, when I got the (not so) bright idea to do a complete
Python removal and replacement. A lot of things are removed from
Ubuntu when you choose that route. I skipped right past the warning
message, missed the hidden list of files to be removed and set
synaptic happily on the path to blowing away my system. I only
noticed, because synaptic was taking so long... Oops.

Oh well, it was time to upgrade to 10.10 anyway, so I backed up my home
directory and set out on a full install...

And then I ran into the nvidia issue and got no video. I escaped into
a shell blind and installed open-ssh server (typing slowly and
carefully), sshed in from my laptop, edited grub, and rebooted.

And I multi-tasked by putting together a tall bookshelf at the same
time. Now the slow pain of all those packages. One broken script at a
time.

Eric