[vox] What's On the Blacklist? Three Sites That SOPA Could Put at Risk [EFF]

timriley at appahost.com timriley at appahost.com
Thu Dec 1 12:31:46 PST 2011

This is a better narrative than the website's.

> If I'm understanding it correctly, this means that any of us that one day
> start a site where users can freely post photos, text (copyrighted
> lyrics/slogans/etc.) would also be at risk.

But I'm not seeing *any* cause-effect relationship with the text
of the bill. And I surely don't see any payment clause in the bill.

Here is the bill:
http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-112hr3261ih/pdf/BILLS-112hr3261ih.pdf

It's 78 pages long, and it could have poison pills included. I
have enough trust in our legal system to believe that the
rule of law overrides the mores of judges. That's why
we have juries. The words contained in our laws have
meaning. What words in this law will lead to unintended
consequences?

I'm starting to recognize the issue's dichotomy. Should a computer
hosting service be responsible for copyright infringements
of it's voluminous posters? Well, Wikipedia surely takes
the effort to clean house.

I'm also starting to recognize the stakeholders. Do sites hosting
pirated music and movies sell Google advertisements?

<snip>