[vox] [fwd]Books and News from the O'Reilly User Group Program--August

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Tue Aug 23 15:35:25 PDT 2011

----- Forwarded message from Marsee Henon & Jon Johns <usergroups at post.oreilly.com> -----

Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2011 17:03:28 -0700
From: "Marsee Henon & Jon Johns" <usergroups at post.oreilly.com>
Subject: Books and News from the O'Reilly User Group Program--August
To: pr at lugod.org

View this information as HTML in your browser, click here:
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z00l4rro222rvdrnhaol1n79gu1lso9947oghqj8

Hi there,

We're excited about our upcoming Strata Conference in New York City,
September 20th-23rd.

It's for developers, data scientists, data analysts, and other data
professionals. Two days of the nuts-and-bolts needed for  building a
data-driven business???the latest on skills, tools, and technologies
you need to make data work. Demand for data scientists has skyrocketed
in the last year, so here's the chance to gain new tools and technologies
to meet this demand.  Use discount code stn11usrg to get 30% off
registration price.
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z0mgcth6ikugsq2u9ikbkdkmrbpmk8mnfahdj4so

   Some Strata Events:

 - Inside Google+: Bradley Horowitz talks with Tim O'Reilly
   Free Online Event, Tuesday, August 23, 2011 1pm PT
   http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zavl3fvdlbrf02cvd1t1u7s6v2on7ddq16rcp008

 - The Strata Science Fair is featuring the theme: Sensors. How do you
   collect and crunch data?
   http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zlujcah355qddkmhubak2gf2iol4oehsqo8hiij8

 - The Strata Conference/Juice Vizathlon contest is open for entries
   until Aug 28th. Create an infographic and enter to win.
   http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zbc5eu7gmenvki26soh0m5ogng5nugr2bdn47048

 - Registration for Strata Launch Pad ends August 22 if you'd like to
   pitch your early stage company to venture capitalists.
   http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z5ho4pq1p9ee28sf5elclht45vccu6232jkftkng

If you're headed to Maker Faire New York, stop by and say hello to Jon
on Sept 17-18 in the info booth. The call for makers is only open
until Aug 20th, but general tickets are available now.
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zuitpg9aqibhpe7vmpo5pr9vlsro6rc1e4s9gse0

We're happy the Linux Plumbers Conference is taking place in
Santa Rosa, CA this year Sept 7-9. If you're attending, say hi.
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zi7l9d5bl07uhvjivf1g88s5ibcsavhb7vvd3118

Science Hack Day is a 48-hour-all-night event that brings together
designers, developers, scientists, and other geeks in the same physical
space for a brief but intense period of collaboration, hacking, and
building 'cool stuff.' Want to create a Science Hack Day in your
town? Check out the open source instructions.
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zb1jkbd9k6udtq5k7ea0j4cc1u4k7u00bbem1sv0
The next Science Hack Day will be in San Francisco,
November 12-13
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z9su1k2u57ot80iloq5ik676jr1jr7060vi33vrg

Did you know we offer many free book samplers at O'Reilly?
If you have a new reader or tablet, or just want to see
what our ebooks look like, check them out.
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zeomf2kvtkrjts8onhuj7bo97idojeqsri0sm7ao

Webcasts happening soon:

 - The Complex Anatomy of the Home Network
   Aug 23rd 10AM PT Presented by: Ciprian Adrian Rusen
   http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z8u49k1skq2ksh0nr5au5fkgbsf54b7rf85idca8

 - Android Honeycomb Fragments: Creating Large-Screen UIs for
   Android Devices
   Sept 9th 10AM PT Presented by: Blake Meike
   http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zj55ecoa7vb61r7ros35cutd2lvjvdmfs67nqa7o

 - Every Book is a Startup
   O'Reilly TOC Online Event Series
   Sept 7 10am PT Presented by: Todd Sattersten
   http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z0vhcr60ssk93c510gtukt3soirb82ar922eqi3o

Thanks,

-- Marsee Henon and Jon Johns

UG Discounts--Ebooks, Strata, Android Open, and More

Strata Conference Sept 22-23, 2011
Get 30% off any pass with code stn11usrg
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zq7nrf78h47ehmeevpriv8uc5ghhjtfo1f9itgso

O'Reilly Android Open Conference Oct 9-11, 2011 San Francisco, CA Get
30% off any pass with code an11ug
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zqq0crkd1mkjl7bkbnq2n9ndoueqbtt2aoq9nip8

Buy 1 Ebook, Get 1 Free
Go to oreilly.com and use discount code: DSUG2
When you buy ebooks through oreilly.com you get lifetime access to the
book, and whenever possible we provide it to you in five, DRM-free file
formats--PDF, ePub, Kindle compatible .mobi, DAISY, and Android APK--to
use on the devices of your choice. Our ebook files are fully searchable
and you can cut, paste, and print them. We also alert you when we've
updated the files with corrections and additions.

Receive a 10-day free trial and 20% off monthly fees to a Safari Books
Online Library subscription for up to a year. That means unlimited
access to more than 16,000 books and videos about technology, digital
media, personal development, and business from O'Reilly Media and more
than 40 of the world's leading publishers.
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zon5j9o60n2tnbcb4cd4dfu95f1kj5r0uc5lo278

UG leaders only--Put Up a Banner; Get a Free Book

We're looking for user groups to display our discount banners on your
web sites. If you send me your group's site with one or more banners
posted, we'll send you the O'Reilly book(s) of your choice. Choose from
the following list:

O'Reilly Answers
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zqit38hpnel4hb0gntsn4iidsslccugg6dmanb60

Customizable O'Reilly Book Widgets
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zsi42qmvfbhov8t1l85b0nnjuafocm18bs81rkt8

User Group Discount Slides (PowerPoint, Keynote, and OpenOffice.org
versions)
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zbf6c79jipqr437jnujss1utho62q2f5og5qmpkg

User Group Discount Slides (PowerPoint, Keynote, and OpenOffice.org
versions)
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zpatjp388va6q0kn1hgq694lkf6unvv9urj46feg

New Releases

Programming Android
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z1dtqtaju9eehifbhmpktgv7kll4hshceocr12m8

DIY Bookbinding
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zqo4u1vfcs9lu4ahh689k379f7aj3hl3evr0500o

Jenkins: The Definitive Guide
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zcmm527r5u1h4lulascbnr98o819fmoa584gdmng

Head First Android Development
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1ztr23871q9d9d42vmtd0a6hhvgcjm9r0gmspn2g8

Basic Sensors in iOS
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zl4453bo5r3n0avilco4shi7pnqbd6kj2s328ijg

Gamification by Design
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zljg4tf4e9o5u1mrso6oqar9enjii9il55sc7l78

Redis Cookbook
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zhj6qlib0rv38bo2e1v3bsii210q2dch6thssacg

ActionScript Developer's Guide to Robotlegs
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1za66btpas4qc7seau8jt4bhn1s15vpd64ojc7fj0

Functional Programming for Java Developers
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zti4r4b23lihv8sjb9klvegglpjstqatqqjopgho

Learning SPARQL
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z8fgldvt2hbdb9u7s83it6opcb0mv81ts85rqi88

Quick Guide to Flash Catalyst
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zpih5fik83t9uis5rq2kbo7l96uklkcvqe93g7q8

Elastic Beanstalk
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1znt3pbfnj8pbs3ggpog4le620hmnrrds5sfle848

Just Spring
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z9r38a9ilb185m8a2ms0s43mmr90ml9us7v58keo

Designing for XOOPS
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zofpa3snvprt3k9nn3t0q740nfr14vdol1qbk6fg

Practical JIRA Plugins
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zc81g398pepp0khfprmjumib4c1qin36m4cdltpo

Windows Small Business Server 2011 Administrator's
Pocket Consultant (Microsoft Press)
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z2rtqi3uegbka1io5t1q8cm2jibj9cqjfelnrak8

Deploying OpenStack
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zbc1fufaii7refrile83g4iti3g7bdkdkicvl708

Perl Pocket Reference, Fifth Edition
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z099pcdr9tglma2o5sn1v249mkr8v9emhodqc2h8

Windows 7 Inside Out, Deluxe Edition (Microsoft Press)
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zlnf2nppooaboopk0dgkg8t3jmcigtes7pb2sc6o

Parallel Programming with Microsoft Visual Studio 2010
Step by Step (Microsoft Press)
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zb35000782u0vehud56q9u63it9h6us8qj5foi20

Using the HTML5 Filesystem API
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zno13qpb49ntquned7ses5bkr4b05vno8eprjo4o

CSS Pocket Reference, Fourth Edition
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1ze65qq3t7vp0dklmu5c36niaebgnno3nhidb0dao

I. M. Wright's "Hard Code": A Decade of Hard-Won Lessons
from Microsoft, Second Edition (Microsoft Press)
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zeu1301s3is0f054lppsudbsrmn4v2ose54339e0

Think Stats
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z9lhimaocolddmm6fotbf8ubdage6fqb5bjdubig

HTML5 Media
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zo3a0e8nvd55j7097qp53m9ecladhqdn2uau7beg

Microsoft Access 2010 VBA Programming
Inside Out (Microsoft Press)
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zkjm1eqdmk2ub1jgr8otkiv9tq27650g7t83aqq0

Building on SugarCRM
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zkur1fdfqjtbqj8vt0083fiseffu6rfm6b1u9lr8

Google Power Search
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zm7ejknu5co8da6ff85f138pphuot46m9aq1dsro

MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-643): Configuring Windows Server
2008 Applications Infrastructure, Second Edition (Microsoft Press)
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z7afqtjmt1f80mensu016c6s82rdj51kepu8rq38

Getting Started with Roo
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z4rhmt17ng76ssdsnlsceudpeekad894hqjduuk0

MCITP Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-646): Windows Server 2008 Server
Administrator, Second Edition (Microsoft Press)
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z5q3seis22va94gqt1pktndaq09m0qu9c0ph1abg

Getting Started with GEO, CouchDB, and Node.js
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zfok1p1th3ufn5qp16g2tghi63qsm0tu15f9nvg0

Supercharged JavaScript Graphics
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zvhjktcj3h180a2e12pav9kcn8fc0890e3dbfne0

Luke Wroblewski on Designing for Mobile First
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zq631k36nra29pd6f8nmd6aolcpr9o1lk8a82in8

iOS Sensor Apps with Arduino
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zg8fc8v65a76i7iio4co1dinsi621ob935g8p7po

Neal Ford on Agile Engineering Practices
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zdk9uc1h9fug4gpa9ot9arta57mufdr4glbcg320

Learning Rails 3
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z6mm1egd52lsqp6n2bo27rf6tvpergo06df2mok0

jQuery Mobile: Up and Running
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z13ih5n80d6s64m43mglunc7cacu55lq0i3mmifo

Using Microsoft InfoPath 2010 with Microsoft SharePoint 2010
Step by Step (Microsoft Press)
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1znison0k80pinjgsh5matdbpmrj896dq1tlblib0

Until next time--

Marsee Henon & Jon Johns

Forward this announcement -
http://post.oreilly.com/f2f/9z1zurto6a4gh7i6nmm2hih7foe1ldoslqu4e79aomo

O'Reilly 1005 Gravenstein Highway North Sebastopol, CA 95472
800-998-9938
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zagaj68f319kreb2qapmpba8mp3t8h0ha2j538bg
Follow us on Twitter at @oreillyug
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zivgh4l2g6vlckdjrlt1qgb5tabvekirno8fttu0