[vox] Games mentioned tonight

Bill Broadley bill at broadley.org
Mon Aug 15 23:19:15 PDT 2011

Figured I'd pass along some of the games mentioned tonight, especially
since many mentioned aren't particularly popular.

For those not there, there was some on topic discussion, but a fair
amount of open ended discussions of various linux games.

Did anyone that went to the meeting catch the space game that looked 2D,
had multiple ship types, and had a name approximately "AEVN"

Arcade:

   LiquidWar - http://www.gnu.org/software/liquidwar6/  Sadly I
            couldn't get liquid war 6 working on my 11.04 box with
            source or the .deb.  Somewhat of a RTS.  Basically
            particle physics to surround the enemy.
   Mars a ridiculous shooter - Basically a pink spacewar with gravity

Turn based strategy games -
   Crimson Fields - http://crimson.seul.org/download.php
   Battle for Wesnoth - Includes an ipad port of the GPL
                        http://www.wesnoth.org/

Physics based games -
   Rigs of rods - Drive simulated vehicles with soft body physics,
                  deformable models, weigh distribution, flight
                  characteristics based on wing shape, etc.
                  http://www.rigsofrods.com
   torcs - Open racing car simulator to allow racing between computer
           programs. http://torcs.sourceforge.net/

RTS -
    Warzone 2100 - http://wz2100.net/ Fairly involved military
                   simulation, sophisticated tech tree, extensive
                   campaigns.
    Globulation2 - http://globulation2.org/wiki/Main_Page, mostly a
                   build up a city so you have enough resources to win
                   type game.  Kind of like majesty.
    Spring2 - http://springrts.com/  I've not played.
    Netrek - Ancient game, still has a community, basically a
             multiplayer spacewar with teams: http://www.netrek.org/
    Glest - http://glest.org/en/ 3D tech vs magic where you build
            buildings/train people, and advance in the tech tree.

MMORPG - Ryzom http://www.ryzom.com/en/ (not played)

Random sites shown:
   http://freegamer.blogspot.com/