[vox] Good quiet hardware for Myth TV

Brian Lavender brian at brie.com
Sat Apr 23 22:30:11 PDT 2011

On Sat, Apr 23, 2011 at 09:38:24PM -0700, Brian Lavender wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 12:59:04PM -0700, Bill Broadley wrote:
> >
> > Nvidia seems to be the preferred choice for low CPU utilization, best linux
> > support, and stable HDTV output.   Just about anything with an nvidia should
> > handle HDTV output.  If you want something new, quiet (no fans), and
> > relatively low power I'd consider something like:
>
> How about the Intel Video? I dislike the proprietary NVidia drivers. I
> see the i3 now has integrated video.

The Intel Core i5-2500K looks impressive.

Here is a setup. The review sounds pretty promising.
http://www.missingremote.com/review/intel-sandy-bridge-core-i5-2500k-and-dh67bl-motherboard

It looks like the board also provides IR header hookups. According to the
article:

  The Consumer Infrared (CIR) headers found on Intel's media series
  motherboards are a feature that is incredibly useful and often overlooked;

It also mentions the Moneual 312B HTPC case that is currently sold out
on NewEgg.

The review uses the Intel DH67BLB3 Mother Board which goes for $113 on Amazon.

Intel Core i5-2500K CPU     $225  (NewEgg)
Moneual 312B HTPC case      $210  (NewEgg)
Intel DH67BLB3 Mother Board $113  (Amazon)
----
Already over $500, but now I could abandon DirecTivo!

Now, tuner card, memory, hard drive, and DVD drive, power supply.

What is the tuner card used?

brian
--
Brian Lavender