[vox] Ubuntu updates

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Sat Sep 18 22:53:23 PDT 2010

On 09/18/2010 10:47 PM, Alex Mandel wrote:
> On 09/18/2010 10:32 PM, Brian Lavender wrote:
>> Does it seem like to anyone else that the updates on Ubuntu
>> keep coming? It seems like I have gotten four kernel updates
>> in the last month.
>>
>> And, I noticed on the machine where i have 8.04 installed that
>> they upgraded my browser to the latest Firefox. Is this something
>> new? I thought the LTS meant they stayed at a fixed version for
>> three years.
>>
>> brian
>
> Sorta, they do supply bugfixes, security and stability updates. Firefox
> will keep upgrading as long as it's not a major version. That is
> unusual, looking at the package page it seems security related. Usually
> major upgrades like that are only through backports but this might have
> been ok'd as it didn't require a change in any other packages in order
> to work.
>
> As a contrast something like OpenOffice 2.x won't be upgraded because it
> would require a lot of libraries to change and could break parts of the
> system.
>
> Also if you want to keep it to a minimum you can disable all but
> security updates.
>
> Enjoy,
> Alex

Slight follow-up
http://www.webupd8.org/2010/06/firefox-364-to-be-pushed-to-ubuntu.html

Seems to be a bit of a pickle, backport security fixes without vendor
support or find a way to upgrade. I applaud Ubuntu for the effort on
this which to me demonstrates a clear difference from Red Hat etc
policies about packages.

Alex