[vox] Stuff you really need to run a GNU/Linux network

Michael Wenk mjwenk at ucdavis.edu
Mon Sep 13 10:49:02 PDT 2010

Well, I ran environments for the first half of my career.  I would say that
there's only one tool that's really required, and that is backups.  You must
be able to return your system back to functionality from a broken state in
good order.  Everything else is window dressing, designed to make your life
easier.

Also, as for Kerberos, I've worked at many places and dealt with many others
and only one place has used Kerberos, and all the other got on fine w/o it.

As for the other tools, I have worked at or with places that both have had
directory, ntp, config management and that didn't.  The only places that I
would say truly failed is the ones without backups..   I also wonder why
something like DNS is missing from that list?  I also found some kind of rev
control ala svn/cvs/rcs to be invaluable.  Also, some kind of manage by
install method is incredibly nice, if you can afford it.  Those tend to be
OS/distro specific tho.

But again, I think the only true requirement is backups.

Mike

On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 6:13 AM, Nick Schmalenberger <nick at schmalenberger.us
> wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 06:02:47AM -0700, Gandalf Parker wrote:
> > On Sat, 11 Sep 2010, Brian Lavender wrote:
> >
> > > So, before you even get started with a GNU/Linux network it seems to
> really
> > > be effective you need to have the following.
> >
> > Interesting.
> > Ive run servers for over a decade. It doesnt use any of that.
> > But its an interesting viewpoint.
> >
> I think this is for an office or computer lab type situation with
> many workstations and users should be able to logon to any
> workstation with their account? I think thats how directory
> services like yellowpages, ldap and active directory are usually
> used.
> Nick

Michael Wenk
mjwenk at ucdavis.edu