[vox] [fwd] Apress September 2010 Newsletter

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Thu Sep 9 18:11:43 PDT 2010

FYI:

----- Forwarded message from Apress <newsletters at apress.com> -----

Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2010 10:07:22 -0700
From: "Apress" <newsletters at apress.com>
Subject: Apress September 2010 Newsletter
To: root at lugod.org

*** Apress September 2010 Newsletter ***

Whether your goal is building dynamic websites or creating apps
across of variety of mobile platforms, we have new titles this
month that will help you get there. Microsoft veteran Matthew
MacDonald offers the latest and most comprehensive coverage of
ASP.NET available in this new book Beginning ASP.NET 4 in C#
2010. This tome contains all the tips and best practices you need
to build a sophisticated site from the ground up. If you're
interested in entering the ever-expanding arena of app
development, a great place to start is Objective-C for Absolute
Beginners. However, you may want to think outside of the
one-platform mindset; Pro Smartphone Cross-Platform Development
and Multimobile Development will help you to do just that,
leveraging your knowledge of one platform for quick development
on everything from iOS to Android to BlackBerry.

***

A veritable tome of ASP.NET knowledge

Beginning ASP.NET 4 in C# 2010
by Matthew MacDonald
eBook Now Available, Print Now Available
http://apress.com/book/view/1430226080

Written by MCSD developer and bestselling author Matthew
MacDonald, Beginning ASP.NET 4 in C# 2010 offers the techniques
and best practices you need to build sophisticated websites from
the ground up.

***

Take your app to multiple platforms

Multimobile Development: Building Applications for the iPhone and
Android Platforms
by Matthew Baxter-Reynolds
eBook Available 9/16, Print Available 9/30
http://apress.com/book/view/143023198X

Pro Smartphone Cross-Platform Development
by Vidal Graupera, Sarah Allen, Chris Allen, Lee Lundrigan
eBook Available 9/16, Print Available 9/30
http://apress.com/book/view/1430228687

***

Latest Books

    * Beginning Rails 3
    * Pro Business Applications with Silverlight 4
    * Beginning ASP.NET 4 in C# 2010
    * Pro HTML5 Programming: Powerful APIs for Richer Internet
      Application Development
    * Objective-C for Absolute Beginners: iPhone and Mac
      Programming Made Easy

Forthcoming Books

    * The Game Maker's Companion
    * Pro Silverlight 4 in C#
    * Beginning Ubuntu Linux, Fifth Edition
    * Silverlight 4 Business Intelligence Software
    * AdvancED Game Design with Flash

Best-sellers

   1. iPhone 4 Made Simple
   2. Pro C# 2010 and the .NET 4 Platform, Fifth Edition
   3. Pro Android 2
   4. Pro ASP.NET MVC 2 Framework, Second Edition
   5. iPhone and iPad Apps for Absolute Beginners

***

Conference News and Notes:

360|Flex  September 19-22

Apress is a proud sponsor of 360|Flex, the first Adobe Flex
developer conference in the world. After a record turnout in
March 2010, 360|Flex is back again this month from September 19 -
22, 2010. The conference makes its east coast debut taking place
in Washington DC.

360|Flex is a community driven event bringing together the best
and brightest Flex/AIR/ActionScript developers, including Apress
authors Elad Elrom and David Hassoun, for 4 days of incredible
sessions. 360|Flex is pleased to offer all Apress readers 20% off
the price of registration! Simply use the code "ApressRocks" when
registering here.

***

The perfect starting point for Mac and iOS development

Objective-C for Absolute Beginners
by Gary Bennett, Mitchell Fisher, Brad Lees.
eBook Now Available, Print Now Available
http://apress.com/book/view/1430228326

***

Apress User Group Spotlight

Orlando .Net User Group (ONETUG)

The Orlando .NET User Group's goal is to build a community in
Central Florida where developers can network and share ideas.
Founded by Joel Martinez in September 2001 and incorporated in
2004 as a nonprofit, the group has been active in the community
and an Apress User Group since 2004. Each month the group has a
speaker present on a .NET topic, ranging from beginner to
advanced. ONETUG also holds an annual Code Camp where hundreds of
developers from all over Florida gather for a free, one day
conference. Membership to the group is free and meetings are open
to everyone interested in learning more about .NET and meeting
other developers in the Orlando area. For more information on
ONETUG, visit http://www.onetug.org or on Twitter (@ONETUG,
@ONETUGVBB).

The New Zealand Python User Group (NZPUG)

NZPUG was founded in September 2007. Danny Adair, the current
president of the NZPUG, suggested the formation of a more
generally encompassing Python User Group that could cater to all
those interested in the programming language as well as support
and promote the use of Python within New Zealand. NZPUG has since
been incorporated as a legally recognized society in New Zealand
and has a national committee which regularly meets to discuss
ways to further grow and expand the group.

NZPUG also runs an annual conference called Kiwi PyCon, which
focuses on applications of Python in the scientific, web, mobile,
gaming, and animation fields. This year the conference will be
held in Waitangi on November 20-21. For more information about
Kiwi Pylon, please visit http://nz.pycon.org and for more
information on NZPUG in general visit http://www.nzpug.org.

***

Apress User Group Program

Apress is committed to supporting the tech community. With over
1,700 registered User Groups on apress.com, there are meetings
happening every week all over the world. Why not find a user
group near you? If you run a User Group, sign up your User Group
to take advantage of our exclusive Apress User Group benefits.

For more information about the Apress User Group Program, please
visit our User Group pages.

***

Apress on Twitter

We tweet about what we're up to, what our authors are up to, and
about anything else that takes our fancy. We even offer exclusive
deals to our followers, so what are you waiting for? Come find us
at @apress.

Want to know what's hot off the presses? We also have a new
secondary account that'll keep you informed of our books as they
publish, backing up our regular 'New Titles' RSS feed. Follow
@ApressBooks for these updates.

***

For all other requests, please do not reply to this e-mail.
Instead, e-mail info at apress.com with any questions and we'll get
back to you.

Apress, 233 Spring Street, New York, NY 10013, USA

----- End forwarded message -----

Sent from my computer