[vox] Fwd: Re: Reasons you might not want to use OpenOffice

jjstickel at vcn.com jjstickel at vcn.com
Tue Oct 26 07:15:08 PDT 2010

Quoting "Ryan Northrup" <northrupthebandgeek at gmail.com>:

> Also, out of curiosity, are macros even regularly used anymore?  I don't
> mean this in ignorance, but out of curiosity.  One of the points in the
> video mentioned the diminished support for macros in OpenOffice.  From what
> I understand, they pose more security risks than they do useful features,
> especially with the dreaded macro viruses and what not.  My high school
> disallowed any execution of macros in Office documents for that reason; I
> tried to use VB in a macro to create an interactive score card in a
> PowerPoint, but it wouldn't execute because there was no way to enable
> macros.  I imagine most businesses would also prefer other means than
> macros, but I may be wrong.

Even Microsoft abandoned macros for Office 2008 on the Mac, but I
guess they will be back in Office 2011:

http://www.macworld.com.au/reviews/microsoft-office-for-mac-2011-18426/

"Probably the biggest missing feature was Visual Basic macros ? which
went AWOL after Office 2004 ? but the new version brings them back"

(I use a Mac at work, and have to use Office to interact with coworkers.)

Jonathan