[vox] Reasons you might not want to use OpenOffice

Ruben Safir ruben at mrbrklyn.com
Tue Oct 26 05:44:51 PDT 2010

On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 10:47:10PM -0700, Will Marshall wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 8:12 PM, Ruben Safir <ruben at mrbrklyn.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 01:57:49PM -0700, Will Marshall wrote:
>
> >> And IME, most people who aren't die-hard FOSS advocates don't care about the
> >> freedom to inspect/alter code.  I use mostly OSS, but even with Adobe's
> >> suckage, there's almost nothing that will pull me away from Photoshop and
> >> Illustrator (as well as a few other proprietary apps).
> >

> > That is truly sad, and IMO, shows a lack of expereince.
> >
> No lack of experience on my part.  Lack of 16 bit/channel colour depth
> in GIMP is a deal-breaker.  No adjustment layers (okay, I know there
> are some "workarounds" for that last one, but too much of a PITA)...
> And so on.
> Even when there is feature parity, it'll take a bit of a push to trade
> using PS for 12 years to make me want to switch.

You really fail to understand.  Its OK.

> Sorry, but for me, arguing free/proprietary is like the editor wars,
> pointless and stupid.

That would not be an appropriate comparision.

> I like emacs, my last girlfriend liked vi.  I,
> and I think most users will use what they like, or what is actually
> better for *them.*  GIMP can't do what I need, full-stop.

That is probably not true and I know design studios that use ONLY free
software and do superior magazine advert work in the fashion industry.

But that is aside the point.  Your just not understanding what your
doing.

> Linux is
> far superior for me than Windows,

And if it wasn't?  SO what?

> and slowly getting me off the
> iCrack.  Right tool for the right job and all.

You do relize that your used to thinking about computer usage as its
defined by software venders who are intentionally mani[ulating your user
experience in such a way to make their method of usage seem to be the
only "correct" way....

Now THAT is a "Dead Stop".

> And I'd much rather
> spend my time showing people that there *are* alternatives out there,
> than pointless arguing.

There is more to Free Software than being an "Alternative".  Perhaps it
is the only alternative.  But that would be of no real consequence
either.  It is the propreitary computer systems that catch up to Free
Software, not the other way around.

Regards

Ruben

© Copyright for the Digital Millennium