[vox] Fwd: Re: Reasons you might not want to use OpenOffice

Jonathan Stickel jjstickel at vcn.com
Mon Oct 25 15:00:12 PDT 2010

On 10/25/10 15:37 , Matthew Van Gundy wrote (via
Bill Kendrick):
> I stopped using OpenOffice a long time ago in favor of LaTeX and I
> quietly smile every time I go to a presentation and someone is having
> trouble with the compatibility of PowerPoint between machines.  It has
> been a good trade-off for me.  However, I have yet to recommend LaTeX as
> a substitute to anyone who is not in Computer Science.  It requires more
> understanding about its principles of operation than the average word
> processor user can be expected to bring to the table.

I've also switched to LaTeX long ago (Engineer myself) and have had
similar experiences.  I often advise MS users to convert their
word/powerpoint document to PDF before sharing or presenting on another
computer.  Sometimes they take my advice, but often they don't.

Jonathan