[vox] Reasons you might not want to use OpenOffice

Joseph Arruda joseph.arruda at gmail.com
Mon Oct 25 12:28:56 PDT 2010

If the sole selling point is cost, then you've 'lost' the functional
argument.  I figured that out a dozen years ago, and that has not changed
since.

The trick is discerning whether what the person wants to do is achievable
with FOSS; if so, you have a potential convert.  If not, then you have a
bug/feature to file with whatever project/OS you want to promote, and do
some impromptu product management to help the cause along.

ja

On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 9:35 AM, Rod Roark <rod at sunsetsystems.com> wrote:

> On 10/25/2010 09:17 AM, Brian Lavender wrote:
> > This is something to remember when passing out CDs and saying:
> >
> > "It's free."
> >
> > We know the virtues of liberated software and once we figure it out how
> > to use it, we are only constrained by our knowlege, but should we truly
> > say, "It's free." when users have to make a time investment to use it
> > and at times be constrained by features they have in MS Office but not
> > in OpenOffice?
> >
> > Microsoft created the TODO list for OpenOffice and entered into the
> twelve
> > step program for OpenOffice's path to success.
> >

> http://www.microsoft.com/showcase/en/US/details/faaf9eb8-77c6-4bed-bc08-c069a7bfbb04
> >
> > brian
>
> It's funny to see all those Microsoft-bashing comments on their own web
> site!
>
> Rod

Joseph Arruda
http://www.josepharruda.com