[vox] ACM programming contest

Bill Ward bill at wards.net
Thu Nov 11 14:29:08 PST 2010

On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 7:49 PM, Bill Broadley <bill at broadley.org> wrote:

> On 11/10/2010 05:51 PM, Brian Lavender wrote:
> > I'll run it. Prizes? Someone else can get those. Who is interested in
> > doing it?
>
> I'm not a fan of the common contest along the lines of:
>   Given this input <a list of foo>, read them in and sort/pack/search/solve
>   and then output the list.  You have till deadline Z... Go!

How about selecting a jury of respected people - perhaps those who have
spoken at LUGOD meetings in the past? - and asking them to judge.  Pick a
general topic, like a video game or an email utility or something, and leave
it to the judges to pick the best one(s).  You could make the topic a little
specific so as to make it less likely someone could dust off something
they'd written long ago and pretending it was new.  Of course the judges
shouldn't know who wrote what, for impartiality.

As for prizes, perhaps some of those selfsame past speakers work for
companies that would be interested in donating something?